Friday, October 3, 2008

HAD A "PEACH" OF A TIME


This is so exciting for me! I bought a box of Peaches and they were the best, knowing that we could not possibly eat them all I thought it would be fun for me to learn how to make JAM! So a good friend of mine Kathy McNeil came over and taught me how to do it, it was the easiest thing ever to do I am alittle ashamed that I have taken so long in my life to learn how to make this simple pleasure, they turned out so yummy and pretty not to mention that it past the taste test with Mr Boyd, I guess you could call me a late learner, but I think i will be doing this often now, I will share with you this recipe but for all you other talented Jam makers you probably already know it!
You start out with peeling the peaches first and then you put them in the blender until you have four cups of blended peaches, then you pour that into a pan on the stove and add two cups of sugar and stir and then once it starts to boil you continue stirring for 20 min. after your done doing that then you take the flavor of jello that you want to add to it, these were my flavors, tropical fruit, red raspberry, strawberry, orange and then i thought cherry peach would be interesting.. so you add one container of jello stir and then pour into your jars, on batch will fill two pint jars... boil the flat part of the lid and then put both lids together and twist them onto the jar... so easy and fun and there is no freezing or nothing then just put them on your shelf and enjoy later.... Thank you Kathy for showing me how to finally make Jam.....

10 comments:

Autumn said...

Shame on you for not learning earlier! I thought for sure you would have done this atleast once before. But glad you have finally learned. Why did we all think that jam was so hard to make? I learned 2 years ago and I couldn't believe that there weren't more steps to it. I love all the colorfulness!
I had never heard of adding jello for different flavors. I will have to try that. I have pears left over that weren't ripe when I was canning them. And I wondered how pear jam would be? I will try it out and let you know! :)

Anonymous said...

You know what they say..it's never to late to learn something new. Homeade jam is so yummy, lots of work, but yummy. Now you need to make some whole wheat bread to go with it.

Many moons ago I was into canning apple pie filling each apple season. That was great to have in the pantry too.

Gail said...

I can't believe it Chris! I just posted a similar post about canning peaches! I love that recipe for peach jam. It sounds way easier than my mom's version of canned jam. I just do freezer jam cause it is so easy.
Yours looks so pretty, I bet it's good! I'm trying that way next time!

Karen said...

Nice job Chris. I have yet to learn, so you're ahead of some of us.

Chris, Mom,and Grandma said...

It was so easy and I can't wait to make some more, I may share!ha The apple pie filling sounds good, except Boyd doesn't like apple pie, can you do apple crisp with it??? Gail I wanted to do freezer jam but she said this is so much easier, i may get her to show me.. thanks Karen but you have done so many more other things then I have...

Ericka Johnson said...

Yum! Jam has always intimidated me but this is something I think I can do! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

What is not to like about apple pie? But you can make apple crisp out it.

I am waiting for you to post about my first grand-baby....Lisa is the skinny grandma, and I am the fat and fluffy grandma....

Anonymous said...

No, I wasn't in the room. I was in the room for the last half of her labor. I got to thinking that I wouldn't have wanted my mother-in-law in the room when I was giving birth. We had fun waiting out in the hall with Wendell. Lilly weighed 8lbs 2 oz. We just got home from seeing her and I already miss her!

Will & Camie Shill said...

i have no bread i might have to eat it with a spoon

Will & Camie Shill said...

i have no bread i might have to eat it with a spoon