Monday, September 15, 2008

5 Surgries and the Finish Touch


Actually this post is for me! It might bore some of you that don't know me, and it might be to long for blog hoppers to read... It is time for me to express some of my feelings of things that has happen to me and my family, It will almost be four years since this event took place in our life's. There are are Six people I want to thank 1st my Father in Heaven for giving me the instinct that i needed to know there was something wrong with my Breast, I will admit I did put off those feelings for a few months and when they became stronger is when i needed to be checked, 2nd The Late Dr. Brinkerhoff for being so wise and telling me what needs to be done and the feelings that I was going to feel after a mastectomy, I was scared not just alittle but allot, 3rd My family for supporting me with all the prayers and fasting that a person could ask for, I truly felt everyone prayers and I knew that I was not alone, this was scary for everyone and some of my family members had to endure their faith that all would be well.. 4th Dr. Cavelcant my Oncologist who was there for me every minute and telling me that this is what i needed to do, from loosing all my hair from wearing a wig during the Hot summer for my children who had to see there mom with no hair and was not ashamed for a husband that loved me no matter what i looked like, and at one time this was fun for the both of us with Bald heads it was a site to see and then down to my eyebrows and eyelashes to having no body hair (this was nice, there was no shaving for quite awhile) and still today takes care of me with my check up every six months, sometimes it is hard for me to walk down that hall and into the office, the smell of Chemo does something to my head and it is not easy for me to walk into there, my blood work that still needs to be done and daily medicines i still need to take, but thankful that i am still here with my family. 5th Dr. Cassey at the Meyo Clinic and the absolutely best reconstructive Dr. around, he was the most caring person and wanted to make sure i was happy with all that would have to be done, that alone was a long recovery for me but a good one because, what was taken from me and something that you grow up with and is a part of your life and your children's nourishment was all of a sudden gone and i felt very ugly and i felt like what had happen to me was a constant reminder its hard to explain what one feels during all that time and how i hated to try to make shirts and my dresses look right with out the fear of something falling out that wasn't permanent, Dr. Cassey was great and made me feel and look great he did two surgeries on me to get it just right, I know that it can't look perfect but what he did was perfect in my eyes it amazes me that you can take something that was nothing and make it into what you use to have, he then did instruct me to finish the look of the breast when he was all done which had to be done at a later time which i let this lasp for longer then what i should of, but was so tired of all the surgeries and all the Dr. appts and really wanted to be done with this point of me so i did, i let it lasp for almost two years and this is the next person i need to thank a Sister in my Ward Holly is a permanent make- up artiest who is out of this world, and called me one day and said that she was finishing her last part of school to do finishing touches on women who have been through Breast Cancer and reconstructive surgery's and asked me if I had this procedure done and had heard that i haven't done the finishing touches and told me that her instructor would be in town and if she could do this for me, I was alittle surprised at first and at the same time was excited that she had asked me, it helped me put that bug in my head that i needed to get this breast finished up so it will all look how it is suppose to look, So I called her back and told her yes, well she was amazing and was so professional, she called it tattooing so this was actually a first for me! ha, I will have a few more follow up appt. with Holly and then this part of my life will be complete, thank you Holly for getting me to this point and making me feel like a women again.. It was fun to come home and know that i won't look in the mirror and feel different again, and was so excited get to show off my first tattoo to Boyd and hear him say "WOW", was all worth it, Thank you to all my Dr's, friends and Family for putting up with me these last 4 years and most of all thank you to a Father in Heaven who loves me and gives me certain trials to strengthen me each day..... I hope someday I can close this chapter in my life and be all done with Dr's....

14 comments:

Malissa said...

I'd like to see a picture of the finished product!! *wink* I am so excited for you to be all complete again! You are such a great example of faith, courage and stength!! You are an amazing woman...with or without your boobs!! Congrats on your first tattoo!! We love you!!

David and Stacey said...

Good for you CHRIS. You are beautiful. Stacey

Tracy & Kellie said...

Wow! 4 years, you are an amazing woman!!!

Holly said...

You are amazing and we are blessed to have you in our family.

Anonymous said...

I would like to see a picture too! Ya know it's OK to blog about yourself. I am glad to hear that you are finished with that part of your life. I can't even imagine. You have been through so much and came through with flying colors!

Karen said...

What a gift! That was very nice of Holly to be aware of what you needed. You are a true survivor that isn't taking life lightly. You are speaking up for things that you believe in and you are living your life to it's fullest potential. You deserve the gifts that have been given to you.

P.S. I still can't stand the smell either.

Autumn said...

You gotta love the closeness you immediately have with members of your ward. Its knowing that we are all brothers and sisters, and recognizing when someone is in need.
I can't believe that is was 4 years ago. I am sure it has seemed much longer than that for you. What a huge blessing for your family to have gone through and overcome all of this. I can only imagine the closeness it has brought you all.

You look fantastic!! Smiles and all!!

Ericka Johnson said...

You have been such a trooper! Glad things are going well.

Hannah + 4 said...

Thanks for making me cry... I can't believe it's been 4 years already! This has brought us all so much closer I think. Your such an amazing woman and mother! I don't think I could have been as brave as you were, I'm so glad this is over and that you can finally be done with everything. Thank you for showing me your love and strength I really look up to you! We love you!

Chris, Mom,and Grandma said...

Thanks Hannah and everyone...I'm a little emotional right now.. Trials are good and they are good for all of us... they teach you allot of things to begrateful for and things that you think are so important that sometimes are really not as important that we see them as.. love u all

mom/sandy said...

Great post you need to be able to express yourself. You have been thru such a life changing experience and have come out on the other side such an amazing women. I am glad to call you 'friend" and 'suvivor!!
Love ya

Gail said...

Wow Chris! that's quite a milestone. I'm so happy for you to say you've had the finishing touch on this ordeal. You have been so amazing throughout it all. Such a great example of positive thinking. Congrats!:)

Yummies by Kimmy said...

Go Chris!! You are amazing! Congrats on your 1st tatoo!!

Rogers Family said...

Yes I am a little late on commenting on this but wow.. could someone warned me before putting my makeup on before reading your post.. I now have to go wash my face and start over. Chris you are so amazing.. I remember when this whole thing began.. I didn't know you as a friend yet but was always at the williams home when they were talking about the news and how you were doing. I am so glad to know you and to become friends with you and what an example you are to me and you are so very beautiful and so very blessed.. I love you girl. Thanks for all the fun laughs..